Jobs: Head of Brewing (M/F), Berlin
BRÄUGIER, a young, fast-growing Berlin-based craft brewery with a mission to brew authentic German and international beer styles with high drinkability is seeking a motivated Brauer or Braumeister to join its team as Head of Brewing. This is a demanding role with significant responsibility at a critical stage in our company’s development. If you are looking for a predictable job with routine tasks and regular hours, do not apply. If you want to challenge yourself, work extremely hard, and build something from the ground up with the BRÄUGIER family, we would love to hear from you.
Required personality traits and abilities:
- An entrepreneurial spirit
- Takes initiative with a bias to action
- Ability to organize your own work and the work of others
- Ability to solve vague problems with novel solutions
- Team player who knows when to ask for help
- A deep interest in beer, brewing, and beer history
- An openness and desire to always continue learning and experiment with new styles, brewing techniques, and ingredients
- German: native preferred; real business fluency absolutely required (you can talk to customers about beer, suppliers about orders, and government agencies about regulatory compliance).
- English: fluent
- Management of ALL brewing and beer quality operations at our BrewPub in Prenzlauer Berg as well as with our contract brewing partners. ALL means responsibility for everything:
- Ownership of beer quality from brewing process through packaging to the glass
- Scheduling of brewing, fermentation control, dry hopping, filling, keg cleaning, etc.
- Work with contract brewing partners to ensure quality and consistency of the processes and finished product
- Cleaning of brewery, malt lager, cold storage, tap lines, and the entire production area
- Implementing a formal sensory program for quality control and employee training
- Maintaining inventory levels for raw materials (hops, malt, yeast, etc.), auxiliary supplies (CO2, cleaning supplies, etc.) including reordering and supplier communication
- Monitoring finished beer inventory and incorporating levels into planning for the brewing schedule
- Managing waste disposal of all brewpub products including spent grain, empty packaging, etc.
- Long term planning of brewing schedule and raw material needs including recipe development in close coordination with the Co-Founders
- Maximizing quality, efficiency, and consistency in the brewing processes and proposing new processes and/or equipment when needed
- Creating and improving brewing, business, and routine processes to ensure transparent communication within the team and timely completion of tasks
- Compliance and reporting in accordance with government requirements and interaction with relevant agencies (e.g. Zollamt, Lebensmittelaufsicht, Ordnungsamt, etc.)
- Ensuring that equipment is in good working order and managing relationships with maintenance service providers.
- Managing the brewing team consisting of part time brewer/brewmasters as well as interns/working students
- Ongoing coordination with the Co-founders on all relevant business and brewing aspects
- Representing the company and interacting with customers at BrewPub, Beer Festivals, and other events
- Occasional shifts working at the Pub or leading events at the Pub
- Training service employees about beer and beer quality
- Occasional travel required
Ideal Work Experience:
- Ausbildung as Brauer & Mälzer or equivalent professional experience complemented by a Bacherlor’s and/or Masters Degree in Brewing Science
- Experience in both larger and smaller breweries is a plus
- Familiarity and/or experience with traditional German brewing styles as well as international styles and relevant processes to create authentic versions of those styles
- Meaningful experience gained at craft breweries outside of Germany is a plus
- A good network in the beer industry on whom you can call to exchange ideas
- !!!!The length of work experience is less important than the quality, diversity, and depth of experience. We would rather someone less experienced, who is highly motivated and has the right personality to keep learning, solve challenges, and evolve, than someone who “knows it all” and is set in their ways of doing things!!!
What We Offer:
- Compensation: Negotiable depending on qualifications and fit. As a young company, a significant portion of compensation will be bonuses based on your personal performance and business performance. We all win together.
- A young, motivated, family-oriented team. The right candidate will be one of us. We work hard and play hard. Our goal is to provide delicious beer, deep knowledge, and excellent service to our customers.
- The chance to get in on the ground floor. 2 years ago, we had passion and an idea. 1 year ago, we launched our first 4 beers and our brand as gypsy brewers. 4 months ago, we opened our own microbrewery and taproom and began our first exports. Come shape the future of the company and your own development.